Covishield, the Corona Virus Vaccine has been rolled out nationwide and vaccination is all set to begin starting tomorrow. Manipur, which has already received 54,000 doses of Covishield, will begin the first batch of vaccination to health workers from January 16.
While many people welcome the good news and the vaccine, there are still many who are skeptical about the vaccine. There is even news circulating on social media that this vaccination is the ‘number of the beast’.
Whichever side you lean on, whether pro-vaccine or anti-vaccine, it’s important to know the facts about the vaccine, Covishield, which is readily available on their website. I’m reproducing the facts here for you.
- The COVISHIELD™ is approved for restricted use in emergency situation vaccine that may prevent COVID-19 disease in individuals 18 years of age and older
- The COVISHIELD™vaccination course consists of two separate doses of 0.5 ml each to be taken 4 – 6 weeks apart.
- Getting Covishield vaccination is not compulsory. It’s your choice whether you want to take it or not.
- There can be side effects
- The COVISHIELD™ may not protect everyone.
- It’s still in ongoing trials and the duration of protection against COVID-19 disease is currently unknown
Here’s COVISHIELD™ fact sheet.
The COVISHIELD™ is a vaccine and may prevent you from getting COVID-19 disease. The COVISHIELD™ vaccination course consists of two separate doses of 0.5 ml each. The second dose should be administered between 4 to 6 weeks after the first dose. However, there is data available for administration of the second dose up to 12 weeks after the first dose from the overseas studies.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GET THIS VACCINE?
WHAT IS THE SIIPL COVISHIELD™ VACCINE?
The COVISHIELD™ is approved for restricted use in emergency situation vaccine that may prevent COVID-19 disease in individuals 18 years of age and older.
WHAT SHOULD YOU MENTION TO YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER BEFORE YOU GET COVISHIELD™ VACCINE?
Tell the healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including:
- If you have ever had a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) after any drug, food, any vaccine or any ingredients of COVISHIELD™ vaccine
- If you have fever.
- If you have a bleeding disorder or are on a blood thinner
- If you are immunocompromised or are on a medicine that affects your immune system
- If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- If you are breastfeeding
- If you have received another COVID-19 vaccine
You should consult your healthcare provider before deciding to take the vaccine
WHO SHOULD GET THE COVISHIELD™ VACCINE?
COVISHIELD™ Vaccine has been approved for restricted use in emergency situation in individuals 18 years of age and older.
WHO SHOULD NOT GET THE COVISHIELD™ VACCINE?
You should not get the COVISHIELD™ Vaccine if you:
- had a severe allergic reaction after a previous dose of this vaccine
- had a severe allergic reaction to any ingredient of this vaccine
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN THE COVISHIELD™ VACCINE?
The COVISHIELD™ Vaccine includes the following ingredients: L-Histidine, L-Histidine hydrochloride monohydrate, Magnesium chloride hexahydrate, Polysorbate 80, Ethanol, Sucrose, Sodium chloride, Disodium edetate dihydrate (EDTA), Water for injection
HOW IS THE COVISHIELD™ GIVEN?
The COVISHIELD™ Vaccine will be given to you as an intramuscular (IM) injection only, preferably in the deltoid muscle. The COVISHIELD™ vaccination course consists of two separate doses of 0.5 ml each.
If you receive one dose of the COVISHIELD™ vaccine, then the second dose should be administered between 4 to 6 weeks after the first dose. However, there is data available for administration of the second dose up to 12 weeks after the first dose from the overseas studies.
If you miss your second dose
If you forget to go back at the scheduled time, ask your healthcare provider for advice. It is important that you return for your second dose of COVISHIELD™ vaccine.
HAS THE COVISHIELD™ VACCINE BEEN USED BEFORE?
The COVISHIELD™ is used in clinical trials, a number of participants received one or two doses in overseas and Indian trials.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE COVISHIELD™ VACCINE?
In ongoing clinical trials, the COVISHIELD™ Vaccine has been shown to prevent COVID-19 disease following 2 doses given between 4 and 12 weeks apart. The duration of protection against COVID-19 disease is currently unknown.
You may get protective immune response 4 weeks after the second dose of COVISHIELD™ vaccine.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF THE COVISHIELD™ VACCINE?
Side effects that have been reported with the COVISHIELD™ Vaccine include:
Very Common (may affect more than 1 in 10 people)
- tenderness, pain, warmth, redness, itching, swelling or bruising where the injection is given
- generally feeling unwell
- feeling tired (fatigue
- chills or feeling feverish
- feeling sick (nausea)
- joint pain or muscle ache
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
- a lump at the injection site
- being sick (vomiting)
- flu-like symptoms, such as high temperature, sore throat, runny nose, cough and chills
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
- feeling dizzy
- decreased appetite
- abdominal pain
- enlarged lymph nodes
- excessive sweating, itchy skin or rash
These may not be all the possible side effects of the COVISHIELD™ Vaccine. Serious and unexpected side effects may occur. COVISHIELD™ Vaccine is still being studied in clinical trials.
WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT SIDE EFFECTS?
If you experience a severe allergic reaction, call or go to the nearest hospital
Call the healthcare provider if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
In addition, you can report side effects after vaccination to Serum Institute of India Pvt Ltd who is the manufacturer of COVISHIELD™ vaccine as below.
- 24 x 7 Call Center Toll-Free Number (For Medical and Adverse Event Related Queries Only): +91-1800 1200124
WHAT IF I DECIDE NOT TO GET THE COVISHIELD™ VACCINE?
It is your choice to receive or not receive the COVISHIELD™ Vaccine. You may prefer to consult your healthcare provider.
CAN I RECEIVE THE COVISHIELD™ VACCINE WITH OTHER VACCINES?
There is no information on the use of the COVISHIELD™ Vaccine with other vaccines.
WHAT IF I AM PREGNANT OR BREASTFEEDING?
You may discuss your options with the healthcare provider.
Download the COVISHIELD™ Fact Sheet Here.